Pages

8.07.2011

Fast Sunday

If any of you have noticed I've been doing churchy posts on Sundays.  Today I've had a lot of things going through my head on what to write about.  Since it's Fast Sunday, here we go!  Today is the first Sunday of August and in the LDS church that means it's Fast Sunday.  Which is where we fast!  Fasting is where you abstain from food and drink for 2 meals.  Fasting should always be partnered with prayer. You are not just going without food for no purpose.  When you fast you can fast for a certain purpose.  When you do this you can receive special help, knowledge, or other blessings.
I'm going to be honest here, I've never been good at fasting.  I love eating!  And I don't like not eating.  Louis has always been good at Fasting, I try to learn from him.  I just need to remember the purpose of fasting and the benefits that I and others can receive from it.  I got this out of one of the church manuals:  "Fasting can help us develop great spiritual strength.  It is one way to worship the Lord and to show our obedience and
 devotion. . .Fasting and prayer are ways of hungering and thirsting after God, of drawing close to him and petitioning him for help.  If we fast without prayer, the main result of our fasting will be physical hunger.  If we fast with prayer, even physical hunger can remind us that we should spiritually hunger and thirst for God and his righteousness.  Fasting helps us humble ourselves and draw closer to him."
So here's to having more of a testimony of fasting!  I do have a desire to do better so that's a start.  It's just when you have a 15 month break from being pregnant and then nursing, I'm getting back into the swing of things again.

No comments: