Pages

9.15.2014

Bye Bye Binkie

A few days after we got home from our trip I planned on getting rid of Mary's binkie.  So we did just that the Sunday after we got home.  This is a big deal for our little Mary people.  She has been sucking since before she was born.


That mark on her hand is from Mary sucking on her hands while in the womb.  She is a sucker my friends.  
When I first starting thinking about getting rid of her binkie I tried just limiting it to bedtime and nap time only.  That didn't go over so well.  So I decided it would be best just to get rid of it cold turkey.  
I did the same thing I did with Avery, I cut the tip off of one of her binkies and threw away most of the others. (I did keep some for future kids)  I gave her the binkie and she took it out of her mouth looking at it confused.  I asked her if it was broken and if we needed to throw it away.  She took it to the trash and threw it away!  That was it!  
She did have a hard time that evening.  She kept asking for her binkie and I would remind her it was broken so we had to throw it away.  


Eventually she calmed down and by bedtime she had no problem at all going to bed without it!  It went so much better than I expected!  It's been just over a week now and she'll occasionally talk about her binkie.  She'll say it's broken and we threw it away.  She'll also sing this song.  Which is adorable.  


I am very proud of Mary for doing so well with it and I am proud of myself for not caving and give her a binkie. . .yet.


No comments: