Pages

3.27.2014

Motherhood

Tonight was our wards Relief Society birthday dinner.  I sat with a few girls I don't know much about and we got to talking.  One of them was asking a lot of questions about motherhood and things that go with it. It really got me thinking about my life as a mother and how much I absolutely love it.  Even though after we came home and I was getting the girls ready for a bath Mary decided to poop all over her bedroom floor.  I looked at it, I sighed, and then I just laughed.  I still absolutely love it even in these moments.  I was still left with this wonderful feeling of gratitude for motherhood.
There have been many people who ask, "What do you do all day?"  Let me tell you what I do all day.  I make meals, I wipe bums, I do little girl's hair, I dress them, I clean, I play, I sing, I dance, I build, I color, I act silly, I kiss and hug, I read countless stories, I go on walks, I teach, I play make believe, I snuggle, I rock, I bathe, I brush teeth, I run, I spin, I do ballerina jumps (not really because I was never a ballerina, but I pretend), I help, I fill sippy cups, I bake, I discipline, I read scriptures, I help them pray, I tuck them in, I wipe their noses, I dry their tears, I make hopscotches, I push them on the swing, I love.  I find joy in the little things I do.
To steal a line from one of our favorite books, I love them through and through.  Yesterday, today, and tomorrow too.  There are many things you take on when you're a mother, but most of all you love.  I absolutely love being a mother.  I have never felt more joy in my life.  There are times when I am overwhelmed with the love and joy I feel looking at my children.  Being a wife and a mother is all I really wanted to be.  I am so blessed to be able to do what I do.
There is such a sweet spirit that accompanies motherhood.  I experience countless sweet sweet moments through out my days.  Avery singing a song she's learning in primary.  When Mary sees her dad coming home from school and she starts crazy laughing and saying Daddy over and over.  Every night when the three of us snuggle on the rocking chair and I read them books and sing them songs.  Every night when I'm tucking Avery into bed and she asks if I want to snuggle.  The dozens of times a day when Mary cuddles up to me and asks me to sing Child of God.  Avery throwing some books into Mary's crib after she's woken up, then climbing in and them reading together.
Each of these sweet moments fill me with love and make me think of our loving Heavenly Father who has blessed me with these sweet children.  In these moments I am able to feel the love that Heavenly Father has for them.  There are also many bad moments that come with being a mom, but they are overshadowed by all the good and I wouldn't trade being a stay at home mom for anything.
I am blessed to be able to be a mother in this earthly life.  I am blessed to get to watch these two amazing girls grow up and to get to teach them along the way.  I am blessed to feel this love for them.  I am so grateful for a loving Heavenly Father who has blessed me with these two sweet children and am so grateful for the trust He has in me to raise them.
I am not much of a writer, but I really wanted to write down how much I love doing what I do.  
I love being a mom.  

Click to expand

1 comment:

Anna and Tyson Lawrence said...

That is a beautiful post on motherhood. It is an amazing thing that we have been blessed with, and I try to relish every minute with my babies, knowing that all too soon they will be grown up. You inspire me to be better, every time I read your blog or see the pictures you post. You are an amazing mom. :-)