Pages

6.06.2011

Memorial Day

This year my mom and dad had headed out to Maryland the Saturday before Memorial day so we spent the morning/afternoon with Louis' family. If you ask me they have a weird tradition. In the morning they head over to Annette's father's grave in the Ogden cemetery and they eat fried chicken. . .yeah. So they go and look at the grave and usually stand around it eating fried chicken, but this year it was rainy so we ate it in the car. As they eat they share things they remember about Grandpa Jack. Louis does remember his Grandpa, he's the one he got the exciting hand rub thing from and I love when he does that. So after the fried chicken we went to the Leavitt's mortuary (I don't know if that's how you spell it) and I was shocked to see concessions. Are you kidding me! I'm sorry, but Memorial Day is not something to make money off of. Stores; do whatever you want have your Memorial Day sales, but not a cemetery, we don't need it there.
Also another thing I saw was a burial plot for sale, I thought that was funny. I know people sell burial plots, but to see a "For Sale by Owner" sign, it was funny.
We then went back to Grandma Steele's house and had a fun time where Avery cried for probably 40 minutes. Her face was all blotchy afterwards. She was just really tired, but would not go to sleep. It was very hard. We ended up leaving before we had planned because of this and Louis took me to Ben and Sarina's where Avery and I were spending the night so we could fly out to Maryland together the next day.
Thank you to all those U.S. soldiers who have passed on and to all of you who are currently serving this country or who have retired.

No comments: