Pages

5.10.2020

Mother's Day


Happy Mother's Day!  I was able to sleep in a bit today and woke up to breakfast (toast with cookie butter) made by the kids!  I think it is one of Avery and Mary's favorite things to do.  Avery had cut out tiny arrows and taped them on the walls leading me to the present she made for me, so after breakfast she helped me follow the arrows to my gift.  We did our home church, then got ready to have my Mom, Dad, sister, and niece over for lunch.  Louis made grilled salmon and bratwurst, we also had pasta salad, cantaloupe, chips, and a few desserts.  It was a really nice afternoon having a few family members over.  Late this afternoon I was able to take a bath while Louis folded laundry (something I have been terrible at keeping up with lately) and made dinner.  We ended the night with Avery teaching a little lesson on Moms, she had everyone go around and say something I'm good at which was sweet!  Ethan thinks I'm very good at turning on video games for him to play.  
I always hoped motherhood would be a part of my journey here on earth.  I tried to prepare myself for that role throughout my life.  I babysat, I took several classes (that I loved!) in junior high and high school that taught me different homemaking skills and taught me about the development of children, I worked in a day care, I was a nanny for a year, and I loved on my nieces and nephews!  Nothing can really prepare you for this role though!  There are things I feel I do well as a mother and things I feel I struggle with.  I'm good at organizing and scheduling.  I'm good at teaching my children.  I'm a good cook and am good at meal planning.  I like to think I'm really good with newborns.  I struggle with patience.  I'm not good at keeping up with cleaning my home, it's almost always tidy, but not cleaned.  I'm bad at remembering to take one on one time with my kids.  And Avery says I'm not so good at letting them stay up late!
I still have a lot to learn and a lot to work on, my kids are helping me with that every day.  Throughout the last 9 1/2 years of motherhood, I've been so grateful for these little ones that call me Mom.  I'm so grateful for all they bring into our home.  Avery is fun and helpful.  Mary is thoughtful and sweet.  Ethan is funny and has the best laugh!  Wyatt is curious and smart.  Logan is smiley and sweet.  I'm so grateful I get to be the one to care for, love, and teach them.  It's hard, but it's worth it all.  I look forward to next Mother's Day when all of our children will be here with us earth side!

No comments: