Pages

5.20.2019

Logan Phillip Brandley-Birth Story

Friday morning I had a doctor appointment, I was hoping hoping hoping that I would have progressed enough for him to send me over to the hospital to be started. I had been at a 4 and 90% effaced the week before at my appointment. My doctor had mentioned that if I progressed any more he would probably send me to the hospital to be induced so we didn't chance me having the baby at home! That is what got me through that last week! Prayers are answered and I was to a 5 at my appointment! I texted Louis at work and told him to meet me at home and we would head over to the hospital. 
We got to the hospital around noon and got admitted around 12:30. I was group b strep positive so I needed to get 2 rounds of antibiotics given 4 hours apart before the baby was born. With my history of fast labors they decided to hold off on pitocin and just get the antibiotic started for now. I figured since we'd have the time and I'd never had one before, I'd ask about an epidural. The anesthesiologist came and talked to us telling us how everything worked and possible side effects and what not and I decided to go ahead with the epidural. (remember how I tried to get an epidural with Wyatt, but he came too fast?) I got the epidural done right before the pitocin was started just after 2:00. It went really well and it was amazing being able to rest the few hours before Logan arrived. My blood pressure did drop and it affected the baby's heart rate, I was put on oxygen and it did help. I was put on oxygen when I was in labor with Avery as well, and honestly it helps me relax more and helps the labor along. 
Just after 4:00 my doctor came in to check me and I was at a 9. He broke my water at 4:15 and left to fill out some paperwork. With the epidural it was harder to feel when the baby was coming, but we knew it was going to be pretty quick. After a few minutes I could feel the pressure of the baby coming and called the nurse in. Sure enough I was complete and ready to push. My doctor had just started heading out of the hospital and had to be called back. If I hadn't had the epidural, I'm not sure if he would have made it. It was a totally different thing pushing with an epidural compared to pushing unmedicated. I couldn't tell if what I was doing was effective or not. The nurses and doctor were great with coaching me though and after about 10 minutes of pushing (it would have been shorter, but Logan's shoulder got stuck) the baby was here! Born at 4:35, 7 lbs 15 oz, 21 inches long. He was a bit purple, but I was still able to hold him right away while they suctioned him and tried to get him breathing better. They took Logan to help him a bit more and get his coloring looking better. He was brought back to me and I was able to cuddle and nurse him.





We didn't get into the recovery room until about 7 that night so we waited until the day after Logan was born for the kids to come meet their brother.  I was most surprised with how interested and excited Ethan was about meeting him.  Ethan walked in the room first and came right over to me holding Logan to check him out.  The girls were of course excited, Mary said "He's so cute I just can't look at him anymore!"  Wyatt mostly liked exploring the hospital room, but did check Logan out for a little bit.  They all love their little brother though and I know it's going to be lots of fun having him in our family.






This labor/delivery was different from my others in a few ways. I'd never been induced before, I'd never had an epidural, and I've never had a baby in the p.m. all my others have been in the a.m. hour!  We all love Logan and are grateful he came to complete our family.




Click here to read Avery's birth story
Click here to read Mary's birth story
Click here to read Ethan's birth story
Click here to read Wyatt's birth story

No comments: