Pages

7.10.2019

Hospital Stay

About a month ago I spent quite a while typing this story out, when I was done it wouldn't post.  The next day I got back on to see if it would post just to find that it had all somehow been deleted!  It was devastating after spending all that time working on it to see it gone.  So it has taken me a while to want to come back to type it up.
As most of you know, Logan had to stay a few extra days in the hospital after he was born.  This was due to low blood sugar levels.  We are grateful that the issue was discovered and taken care of.  On Saturday afternoon we were getting all ready to be discharged, they had taken Logan to do his screening in the nursery to make sure he was ready to go home.  They don't normally check blood sugar levels, but the wonderful nurse noticed that Logan was shaky every now and then and decided to check them.  Sure enough they were low!  This has the potential to cause a few problems and was something that needed to be monitored in the hospital.  I was still discharged, but was able to stay in my room with Logan while he was still there.
They didn't know what was causing the low blood sugar, sometimes it just takes babies a while to figure out how to regulate it on their own and they think that's what was going on with Logan.  So to begin they had me feed Logan every two hours instead of every three hours.  That was exhausting, especially doing that all through out the night.  I don't think I got more than 3 hours of sleep that night, and it was all broken up.  Along with feeding him every two hours they had me try to top him off with formula, at this point I honestly don't remember their reasoning for it.  During this time they also pricked the bottom of his foot every three hours to check his levels to see if they were going up.  After 24 hours of this Logan blood sugar levels still were not going up so the doctor had them put him on a glucose IV.
So on Sunday afternoon they took Logan back to the nursery and hooked him onto an IV.  It was very sad seeing him hooked up to an IV, but I knew I had to keep it all in and stay strong otherwise I would start crying, and with the sleep deprivation and crazy hormones who knows if I would have been able to stop!  (I did let myself have a good cry after leaving the hospital)  The plan was to have Logan on the IV for 24 hours and at that point slowly start weaning him off of it and see if he could keep his blood sugar levels up on his own.  All the while they were still pricking the bottom of his foot to check his levels.
It was a very hard time for me watching my newborn baby not doing as well as he should be.  On Sunday night Louis was able to call his coworker Mike, who lives nearby the hospital, to come help give Logan a blessing.  I am very grateful for the healing power of the Priesthood.  The blessing was able to give me some peace with the whole situation.
The IV was doing its job and brought his levels up.  Monday afternoon they started lowering the dosage and late Monday night they took the IV out.  After that Logan just had to keep his levels up for three consecutive readings, so over the course of 6 hours.  Thankfully he did keep his blood sugar levels up, and he was able to be discharged from the hospital Tuesday morning after 4 long days!  It was so good to finally be home with my family and to have Logan there with us.

He did look pretty cute in his hospital gown

Logan's sad little feet after being poked and poked to check his levels

Heading home

No comments: