Pages

4.24.2014

Easy Burp Cloth Tutorial

Welcome!  

I first started making these burp cloths with a tutorial I found years ago and I have no idea where that tutorial is now.  So as I was making some burp cloths for my sister-in-law who is having a baby soon, 
I decided to make my own!


I have made these burp cloths several times, some for myself and some for others.
  They make for a great baby shower gift!  

Supplies:  
  • Gerber cloth diapers, I bought mine here
  • Fat quarter fabric, I can get two burp cloths from one fat quarter
  • Corresponding thread, I usually just do all white or black so I don't have to switch thread
  • Miscellaneous sewing equipment 


Directions:

To begin, iron all of your fabric and cloth diapers.  

all ironed

Then cut your fabric into 21"X7" pieces
I've done this two ways.  With a tape measure or by using my cutting mat.  
I have a problem with not being able to cut a straight line so I like using my 
cutting mat because I can line it up easier and make sure it's straight. . .mostly!

Measuring

After you have cut your fabric you can begin pinning them onto the cloth diapers.  Place it in the middle of the cloth diapers and fold over each side about 1-inch on each side pinning while you go.  

Pinned

After you've pinned everything you can start sewing!  Move your presser foot to the right so your stitch is close to the edge.  Be sure that your bobbin is white so that it matches the white cloth diaper.  I've made the mistake of having a colored bobbin before and it looks silly.  Start by sewing the both short ends first then finish with the long ends.  Don't forget to start and finish by back-stitching.   

Sewing

You are done!

finished!

Very easy, simple, and cute burp cloths!  

I have also made some with some ribbon on each short side as well as some down the long side.
To do some with ribbons just fold them under the fabric on each side and pin together before sewing.
After you've sewn around the fabric finish by sewing on each side of the ribbon down in a corresponding color.  I don't have pictures of this step, so hopefully that makes sense.

Here are some examples of some burp cloths with ribbon.


Happy sewing!

No comments: