I did the race with Alisha and my friend Holly. Holly's tenant Jami also did the race with us. She was very motivating through the whole thing, I'm glad she was there.
To start out the 5K you slide down this steep slide on a tube. Then you have to run the tube back up a hill to drop it off for other runners. After that you run around a bend in the trees and through a very small shower of water. Then we ran over to something called the cargo net. You had to climb up a robe ladder then climb over and make your way back down. Climbing over was terrifying. It was very wobbly up at the top! We continued running and encountered our first real mud! I very carefully walked along the edge of it and everyone else went straight through it and Alisha slipped!
We ran up a hill and they were handing out water. Then we got to another slide. This one had a rope to hold onto while you slid down because it was rocky. The next part was the grossest of the whole race. It was called the trench. It was deep nasty muddy water. It was super long and I was sinking down in mud all the way to my knees at some parts! I am so thankful I didn't fall in that stinky water!
After this there was more muddiness and a hay bale tower we had to climb over. So you can imagine how nice it was climbing over hay after being in the mud :) Then there were tires we had to walk through. After that we climbed up a slide with a help of a rope and we got to clean our hands at the top!
I can't remember what was between this point and when we got to the spider web. The spider web was just a bunch of bungee cords creating a maze you had to climb through. After this was a huge rope stretched across a river and we had to hold on and get ourselves over. I just held on with my hands and let my feet float. It wasn't as hard as I was expecting it to be.
The next part was not so great. It was a very small swimming pool made out of hay bales and a tarp. They had laid boards over the top and the water was ice water! FREEZING cold ice water! That was probably the fastest I moved in the whole race. After I got out I tried running, but it hurt! I was tingly from the ice water and it hurt my entire body to run. It was just a little ways though until we were able to walk through some mud and water and it warmed us back up so I could run again. We then got to the army crawl. There were ropes strung low across a shallow stream. It was hard! I've never really army crawled before and had to figure out how to do it. While trying to get across the worker was yelling into a megaphone and said about me, "Why is your hair still blonde? It should be brown!" and tried to get Alisha to throw mud at me. Thankfully she didn't. Then we went a little ways and climbed through a torturous tunnel. I say torturous because you had to crawl and there were lots of rocks on the bottom. After that you just ran basically to the end. You climb up a hay bale tower and crawl or walk (or I saw one guy roll across) a rope bridge. Then slide down a slide into muddy water! I could not believe how fast I was going down that slide! I didn't get my right eye closed fast enough and got gross muddy water in it.
After we slide down that huge slide you had to run up a huge hill then we were done! We took some pictures and tried to shower off the best we could. We all donated our shoes afterwards. Then headed home. It was really fun. I was proud of myself. I ran the entire time except when we were running through the mud and didn't want to get stuck or slip. If I can I'll do it again next year!
I wish I had pictures of us doing each obstacle, but here's what I have.
Before the race
Before going down the last slide
Going across the rope bridge
I'm sorry you were so muddy Holly
I did it!
2 comments:
So very muddy, I don't think I could do it! Great job running the whole time, you're pretty amazing.
It didn't seem like there was very much running in this race. But it looks like you had a great time. I'm sure you were at least partially prepared for this race by the barefoot hike we did in Germany.
Post a Comment