Pages

3.09.2013

Stitches

On Tuesday night we were getting ready to head back to Logan.  After Avery gave her cousin Chase a hug she tripped over something and fell down.  On her way down she hit her lip on my mom's coffee table!  She got a pretty good cut on her lip!  I didn't even notice she was bleeding until I got upstairs and Charissa came to see what was wrong and saw that Avery was bleeding.  Then I got worried and ran her to Sarina who was in the living room.  I almost got to her when I thought, "I shouldn't go in there with Avery bleeding, it could get on the carpet" so I turned back and went to the kitchen.  Passey and Sarina were a big help in letting me know what needed to be done (stitches) and where to go.  It was soooooo sad!  I was by myself because Louis had already gone back to Logan for work.  It was the first time I have had to deal with a real injury with my kids so that made it even worse.  I will forever be grateful to Sarina for offering to go to the instacare with me.
We got to the instacare about 10 minutes before they closed, I am so grateful for that.  The doctor let me know that the lip is a hard place to stitch because they need to get it lined up right and if they don't your lip could be left looking a wee bit deformed.  She said  she would do it, but also suggested going to the ER and asking for a specialist.  The spirit was with me and I knew quickly that this doctor could do it, so we stayed there.  
Sarina took Avery back to be numbed and I stayed in front to give all the insurance information.  When I went back Sarina was holding Avery with the cloth numbing  her mouth and singing to her.  It was so very sweet, and I hope you have a special bond because of it.  Avery didn't even see me come in she was just looking up to Sarina.  I had been trying so hard to keep it mostly together and not cry, but when I came into the room and sat down I started crying and didn't really stop until I got back home an hour and a half later.  
The doctor came in to do the stitches and I couldn't stay in there.  I left for the first two stitches and it was horrible hearing Avery scream and cry.  And spit.  As Sarina said, after having her arms wrapped up and being pinned down that was her only defense!  I prayed that I would have the strength I needed to go and be with my baby when she needed me.  Finally I went in and was with her for the last two stitches.  It was so sad to see.  They had her arms wrapped up and Sarina and another nurse were holding her down.  Another nurse was holding her head in place and they also had a sheet over her head with a hole around the mouth.  How scary would that be as a 2 year old??  They ended up taking the sheet off of her head thankfully.  I don't know if I was much help, but she did calm down a little bit.  The only time she ever stopped crying was when I asked if she wanted to go see Daddy and she calmed down a bit and said "daddy?"  I was glad I could be there for her in the end, but I was also sad being there.  
When we got home she just wanted to cuddle with Louis and not leave his side.  I guess on our way home Louis had called his brother Jake to come over so they could give her a priesthood blessing.  It was really sweet and she was blessed that her lip would heal properly and she wouldn't mess with the stitches. (something I was worried about.  I've never had stitches so have never had to deal with them)  She was also blessed to be a good big sister to Mary and to teach her the things of the Lord.  Also that she will be in the top of her classes in school and learn things easily.  That is something she already does.  She picks up on things so quickly!  She was also blessed to potty train easily.  I really liked that!  We'll see how that goes hopefully in a few weeks?
All in all, it was a bad night.  Probably the worst of my life seeing my baby so sad and in pain.  Looking back now, it wasn't that big of a deal.  Four stitches was all.  But it was quite bad in the moment.  Things are healing nicely, she may be left with a scar, but her lip will look fine.  She gets the stitches out Monday.
Thank you Charissa for taking care of Mary!  Were you able to return the formula and bottle you had to buy?
Wednesday she was messing with them a bit.  She would pull her top lip in and suck on them, but she was her normal happy energetic self.  Other than that she's been doing well with them!
And since I don't want to leave you with this sad stitched up picture of Avery I'll post a cute pre-stitches picture of her!  This is from John's wedding day.

Also this video of Avery singing the theme song to Winnie The Pooh!  
It's cute!  She sings it better than this sometimes, but this is the best we've been able to get on camera.
If it ever uploads!
There we go.



1 comment:

Charissa & Don Bishop said...

Yes,I could return them the next day. I'm glad she is ok, post a picture when she has them removed.